Australian Sound Artist
tattered-kaylor.com

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The eye of the storm.............

: Day four, final week of Live Arts Incubator :

This week has been one of the most, 'Challenging' I've had for a while regarding computer related glitches and bumps.  (This would be why I am halfway through the conclusive week of my Bendigo residency and only just now entering my first post). I'll save you the kill-my-computer-don't-even-BOTHER-introducing-bootcamp-to-a-mac-yet-if-you-wish-to-use-it-for-sophisticated-audio-processing rant and just say that I suffered a couple of largish setbacks at the beginning of the week.

On the flip side to this experience - I can say that I now have successfully developed my new prototype for live performance and spatialisation. In the past I often used Logic pro teamed with midi controller, sampler and mixing desk. The new design replaces Logic with the astoundingly accommodating software 'Audiomulch' by fellow Australian Ross Bencina. The brilliance of this software (for myself working specifically with multi speaker spatialising) is it's routing capabilities. As a modular, patch-based software (think Max msp in lamens terms) the choices, possibilities and potentials are at the minimum - endless!

At this stage I am working on midi control of the basics

-Play
-Mute
-Gain
-Send
-Panning
-Matrix routing
-basically all the elements that are utilised when exercising the traditional methods of acousmatic performance.

In the future however - I plan to venture into realtime signal processing and effects - unfortunately I doubt I will have time to explore this before the live performance
Speaking of which ...
If you happen to be in Bendigo, Australia this weekend - head to the Old Fire Station for an evening of auditory dazzling.